What Are The Key Traits Of A Data Analyst
If youre considering a career as a data analyst, an affinity for data and statistics is a good starting point. Data analysts also tend to be:
- Curious and inquisitive. Data analytics is all about delving into data and seeking out patterns and trends. You can think of yourself as a detective, figuring out the story that the data is trying to tell you.
- Methodical and analytical. As the name suggests, data analysts are extremely analytical. They take a highly methodical approach to their work: gathering the data, cleansing it, analyzing it, and deducing and sharing insights.
- Business-savvy. Data analysts bring immense value to organizations by showing them how data can be used to drive strategies and crucial decisions. It is therefore essential that data analysts possess a certain degree of business acumenor at least have an interest in how data and business go hand in hand.
Its important to note that data analysts are not the same as data scientists. You can learn all about the differences between a data analyst and a data scientist in this guide.
You Should Be Comfortable With The Remote Work
In 2020, the majority of the business world rediscovered working from home. Memes about commuting from bed and joining videoconferences with your dog, cat, or kid appeared all over the internet.
Is this new? Not for the tech industry. Tech employers have historically been more welcoming of remote work arrangements. Part of that is because some tech jobs are not 9-to-5, but are instead driven by objectives. For example, most developers work under deadlines, and people who work in critical service support handle emergencies at all hours, including the middle of the night.
While specific work arrangements will depend on your company, in my experience, most tech roles encourage employees to manage their own time and prioritize their own tasks.
At the same time, if you are not comfortable collaborating online and digital dexterity is not your strong point, you may find this kind of arrangement tedious.
Career Overview: Data Analyst
Data analytics is all about collecting, processing, and analyzing data in order to derive meaningful and actionable insights. These insights can then be used to make smart business decisions. With data having overtaken oil as the worlds most valuable commodity, those who can analyze and understand data are in high demand. So what does a data analyst actually do? Lets find out.
Read Also: Career Paths For Biology Majors
You Need To Be Open To Continuously Learning
The only constant in the tech industry is change. In 2004, I was a software developer. In 2008, I switched to computer networking. In 2012, there was a boom in telephony over the internet, and I moved on to architect video and voice solutions. When big data exploded in 2016, I took trainings and reoriented my specialization. Today, my job is largely focused on cloud technologies, an area that did not even exist when I was starting out.
Can I develop software the way I used to? Not at all. The programming languages have evolved. Does my background help me in my current role? Yes, it does. My past experiences contribute to how I solve problems in the present.
When you work in tech, you have to be comfortable with this: Your expertise may become obsolete in a couple of years. You also have to be ready to jump into the next significant shift. If youre not interested in continuous learning or think exams are part of your past, then this is not the right path for you. But if you are like me, excited about the role you will play in building the future, tech is definitely for you.
Become A Digital Marketer If
A career in digital marketing will see you getting creative, collaborating with different stakeholders, and keeping track of campaign performance and analytics. Consider becoming a digital marketer if you are naturally curious and able to think outside the box, if you prefer to work as part of a team, and if you want to have a measurable impact on company performance.
Learn more: What are the most in-demand digital marketing jobs?
Also Check: What Are Your Long Term Career Goals Example Answers
Job Responsibilities For Big Data Engineer
- Hadoop, Spark, and NoSQL are understood in addition to data warehousing technologies.
- Programming talents
- Understanding Hadoop, Spark and NoSQL, as well as data warehousing technologies
- Programming skills
Check out our exclusive Big Data Engineering Course in partnership with IBM
Big Data Hadoop and Spark Developer Course
How Do I Figure Out Which Of These Career Paths Is Right For Me
Now you have an idea of what UX designers, UI designers, web developers, data analysts, and digital marketers do, you might have a clear preference in mind. But what if youre still struggling to decide? Perhaps the user-centric nature of UX design appeals to you, but you also like the idea of learning how to code. Maybe you just cant choose between web development and data analytics, or wish there was a way to combine the work of a UI designer with programming.
When it comes to choosing your tech career path, its important to remember that youre not confined to one discipline. Many UX designers also go on to master UI design skills, and vice versa. Likewise, its not uncommon for UX and UI designers to pick up some frontend development skills. Multiskilled tech professionals are always highly sought-after, and theres nothing stopping you from branching out into other disciplines later on.
Before you commit to anything, make sure you try it out first. Our free short courses have been designed for this very purpose: to provide a no-strings introduction to each field. Try out a few free short courses, attend workshops and meetups, and speak to people already working in the field. It can also be helpful to browse job descriptionstheyll give you a good idea of what companies expect from each role.
Read Also: Career Center Grand Junction Co
What Kinds Of Options Do I Have
In the table below, we look at the most common software career paths for professionals. For each profession, you’ll see the technical skill requirements and things that these professionals tend to have in common.
Note that depending on the employer, each position varies in duties and requirements. The table provides a general snapshot of the field to help you choose a direction.
Turn Your Hobby Into A Career
Finding the career for you require a bit of self reflection. Its important to think critically about what it is that you like. Is there anything that excites your or passions that you have? Further, do you have hobbies that could translate to a career somehow? Thinking critically and answering some of these questions can help put you on the right path to discovering the best career for you! You can also start networking and having informational interviews to explore career possibilities as well. Find people with careers that seem interesting to you and reach out to them to learn more about their role, company and career path.
Mary Pharris, Director of Business Development & Partnerships at Fairygodboss.
Recommended Reading: Career Academy Of Hair Design Rogers
How Do I Choose A Career In Tech
There is a huge variety of roles within the tech industry, so you should choose a career in technology based on your interests and strengths.
According to Adda, Technology changes insanely fast, and guess what? So do tech job roles. Your job at the outset is not to pick the perfect role, but to get started in some area of tech and see what you think!
Here in our Break Into Tech program at Skillcrush, we teach total beginners and career changers all the skills and know-how they need to become designers or front end developers.
If you want to break into tech and start a career as soon as possible, we recommend trying out front end development or web design.
When we asked Adda why these two starting points, she answered, What we find with our students is that these are roles that they can wrap their heads around relatively quickly its easy for someone with no tech experience to quickly understand the value and role of a front end web developer or designer.
But you dont have to stop there. As you learn more you can specialize in different niches or programming languages, just by following what interests you.
As you get started exploring your many options, keep this in mind: dont worry too much about making the wrong decision when it comes to choosing a career in technology, because there is no wrong decision.
What’s The Right Job For Me Reading Your Results
|What the test does:||The career test will cross-reference your answers with our careers database and provide you with a career category and an explanation.|
|What to expect next:||The test will tell you what type of career best suits you and will give you several examples of jobs within that career.|
|Examples of what you’ll get:||If youre best suited as a manual laborer, the test will point out that you can seek a career path as a logger, construction worker, trucker, or firefighter. If youre best suited for the service industry, it will point you in the direction of nursing, sales, and some other jobs.|
Also Check: How To Start Devops Career
Which It Field Is Best For The Future
Technologies such as artificial intelligence, cloud computing, data analytics, and machine learning have been growing rapidly over the years. With the rise of the pandemic and the global health crisis, they have become essential in todays society. As the world evolves, it is important to choose a field and structure your career so that your job will still be in demand in several years.
What Are The Key Traits Of A Digital Marketer
If youre considering a career in digital marketing, youll want to possess an innate curiosity for people and what kind of digital marketing content can resonate with an audience. Digital marketers also tend to be:
- Creative and experimental. Digital marketing is all about coming up with ways to connect with your audience. This means experimenting with different content formats and channels, iterating and innovating on whats been done before, and continuously finding ways to keep people engaged.
- Strategic, analytical, and business-minded. The great thing about digital marketing is that its measurable, allowing you to track key success metrics and see exactly how and why your marketing efforts might succeed or fail. Its therefore crucial to be strategic, comfortable with data, and able to tie your work to the overarching business goals.
- Excellent collaborators and communicators. As a digital marketer, youll never walk alone! Youll rely on designers, copywriters, and other creative experts to help you produce assets for your marketing campaigns. And, depending on your exact role, you may also find yourself in direct contact with customers and followers. Communication skills and a collaborative spirit are a must!
Read Also: Us Career Institute Medical Assistant Program
Which It Career Is Right For Me
- Career Development, Career Placement, Certifications in IT, Company News, Employment Opportunities, Industry News Updates, IT Career Tips, Tips
One of the fastest-growing industries in the world, the global information technology industry is worth about $5.2 trillion in 2020. Yes, you didnt misread that its trillions. This industry is expected to grow by about 3.7% in 2020, as more and more people turn to lucrative careers in IT. With all of this growth, you might be asking, which IT career is right for me?
Regardless of your current career path, the beauty of IT is that anyone can learn a set of skills they can profit from in this industry. There are thousands of online programs and courses you can apply to for pretty much any IT branch under the sun. All you need to do is decide which path you want to take. Do you want to be a web developer? A systems administrator? A game programmer? Something else entirely? The world of IT is seemingly endless in terms of career choices.
The downside to this overwhelming number of options is that, if youre new in the business, its easy to feel crushed under the weight of the unknown. How can you know which IT career is right for you? How will you recognize what youre good at and whats not going to work?
Rest assured that we will answer these questions and offer some career advice that will hopefully set you up for future success in IT.
What Does A Digital Marketer Do Day
Digital marketers are responsible for devising and implementing marketing campaigns across a variety of channels, and using data to monitor campaign performance. The role therefore requires a good mix of strategic thinking, creative flair, and an affinity with data. The exact tasks and responsibilities of a digital marketer will depend on whether you choose to generalizefor example, as a digital marketing manageror specialize, focusing on just one domain, such as performance marketing, social media management, or editorial content and copywriting.
Given the broad and varied nature of digital marketing, its difficult to pin down a hard-and-fast list of tasks and responsibilities. However, if you do venture into digital marketing, you can expect to be responsible for at least some of the following:
- Developing a multi-channel marketing strategy for the company or brand
- Creating and distributing content in various formats
- Conducting research in order to understand the target audience
- Conducting keyword research in order to identify relevant content topics
- Running tests to see which formats or versions of content perform better
- Working with external stakeholders to establish content partnerships
- Working with internal stakeholders such as designers and product managers to align on branding
- Utilizing data analytics tools to monitor performance across different channels
Also Check: Business Management & Administration Career Cluster
What Does A Ui Designer Do Day
UI designers are responsible for all the visual, interactive aspects of a digital experience. They design all the screens through which a user moves, as well as the interactive elements that facilitate this movementlike buttons and scrollbars.
On a day-to-day basis, user interface designers may be responsible for:
- Creating a visual style guide to be used across the entire product, ensuring consistency for the user
- Designing individual screens, deciding which elements should go where
- Establishing visual patterns and hierarchies
- Designing UI elements such as buttons, icons, sliders, and scrollbars
- Designing the interactivity of each UI elementwhat happens when a user clicks on a button, for example
- Choosing color palettes and typeface
- Creating animations
- Creating interactive digital prototypes
While most of the UI designers tasks focus on the visual and interactive elements of design, there is also a psychological aspect to the role. UI designers will design each screen with the user in mind, considering how buttons, typography, color, and spacing help to create an intuitive, accessible, user-friendly experience.
Data Science And Machine Learning
If you have been closely monitoring the careers related to information technology, you may notice a spike in the demand for data-centric roles. Enterprises are now fully realizing the potential that data offers.
Data Science relates to the extraction of meaning from data using a scientific approach. While Data Science is a vast and expansive field, Machine Learning is a branch of Artificial Intelligence that outlines the method for data analysis through automation in the analytical model building.
Therefore, one can see that Data Science and Machine Learning are closely related, with the former interpreting and making sense of data, and the latter facilitating the same with minimal human intervention.
You May Like: Career Opportunities In Personal Fitness
Tech Career Quiz Faqs
How do I know which tech career is right for me?
You will know which tech career is right for you when you find one that fulfills your personal and professional goals at once. There are hundreds of careers in the tech industry, and each has their pros and cons. You will know you have found the right one when the pros significantly outweigh the cons and you feel like you are growing in both your personal and professional life.
Which tech career pays the most?
The tech careers that pay the most include CEOs, cloud architects, and data scientists. The pay you receive at any of these jobs will depend mostly on your experience and qualifications, but you are almost guaranteed to earn over $100,000 per year.
What are the top five in-demand tech careers?
The five most in-demand tech careers of 2022 are machine learning engineers, UX/UI designers, robotics engineers, data scientists, and cloud engineers. Each of these is a unique position in the tech industry, and you will have to attend a coding bootcamp or college in order to get one of these jobs.
How do I start a career in one of the best tech jobs?
The best way to start a career in one of the best tech jobs is to enroll in one of the best coding bootcamps. Bootcamps help you learn the most current and in-demand skills for your field of study, such as software engineering, so that you graduate ready to enter the job market.
Dont Follow Passion Alone Follow Your Fit And Future
I am not going to tell you to follow your passion because all too often, when deciding on a career path, people focus only on their passion and the ultimate impact the work will have, which are only part of the story. Satisfaction with your career is about FIT.
Jamie Lewis Smith, Ph.D., President of Pixel Leadership Group
My professional advice is to do your best to find a combination of a career that taps into your passion as well as one that will be viable in the future.
Clues to finding your passion
- Look at the flip side of your weaknesses. If there is something you hate to do, look at its opposite. For example, if organizational ability is not one of your strengths, you may be better suited to a less structured, perhaps artistic environment where creativity is a higher priority than organization. If working in an office makes you feel claustrophobic, perhaps you would prefer working outdoors.
- What subjects do you like to read about? If you are consistently drawn to a certain subject, that indicates a strong interest in that area and could provide useful information about your calling.
- How do you spend your leisure time? Sometimes a hobby can be turned into a career.
- What kind of work would you do for free? Volunteer work can uncover some strong interests.
Confirm your passion
Will Your Career Be Around in the Future?
Cheryl E. Palmer, M.Ed., CECC, CPRW President of
Read Also: How To Start An Acting Career