Background And Structure Of The Spouse Education And Career Opportunities Program
- In 2007, the Department of Defense ‘s Military Community and Family Policy office established a portfolio of initiatives under the Spouse Education and Career Opportunities program.
- The SECO Call Center at Military OneSource offers career counseling services.
- Scholarships for testing, education, and training for portable career fields are offered through the My Career Advancement Account Scholarship.
- The Military Spouse Employment Partnership connects military spouses with potential employers.
- DoD State Liaison Office efforts aim to improve the portability of occupational licenses and credentials across state lines and to expand unemployment compensation eligibility to military spouses following their service member’s permanent change of station moves.
Military Spouse Education And Career Opportunities
What Mycaa Pays For:
The My Career Advancement Account Scholarship pays tuition costs for education and training courses and examinations leading to an associate degree . The scholarship also covers the costs for obtaining a license, certificate, or certification at an accredited college, university, or technical school in the United States or approved testing organization that expands employment or portable career opportunities for military spouses.
Who Is Eligible:
Spouses of service members on active duty in pay grades E-1 to E-5, W-1 to W-2, and O-1 to O-2, including spouses married to members of the National Guard and reserve components in these same pay grades.
Spouses can visit the My Career Advancement Account Scholarship Spouse Portal online at and provide the required Spouse Profile information. A real-time Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System eligibility check will confirm if spouses meet My Career Advancement Account Scholarship eligibility requirements. Once confirmed, spouses can move forward and establish a My Career Advancement Account Scholarship Account. Those who do not pass this check will be provided additional guidance.
Who Can Help Spouses Move Through the MyCAA Program:
Spouses are encouraged to work with their Spouse Education & Career opportunities Career Coach at 1-800-342-9647 if they need help or they can also go to Military OneSource NEW Online Spouse Career Center Resources.
Also Check: Career Change To Data Science
Proposed Seco Internal Monitoring System
RAND suggests five steps to develop and implement the SECO internal monitoring system
- Step 1. Describe the logic or theory of how SECO’s activities are designed to meet the program’s goals.
- Step 2. Develop key indicators that can be used to measure progress toward goals.
- Step 3. Identify benchmarks and targets. Progress can be compared or measured relative to finite goals or baseline groups.
- Step 4. Collect, organize, manage, and visualize the data collected into a monitoring matrix. The visualization of the data collected will allow staff to document trends and provide deeper understanding of what is occurring.
- Step 5. Use data organized in Step 4 to inform decisionmaking for ongoing improvements.
Presentation On Theme: Spouse Education And Career Opportunities Program Presentation Transcript:
1 Spouse Education and Career Opportunities Program
2 2 Spouse Education and Career Opportunities Program – Military spouses a profile
3 3 Spouse Education and Career Opportunities Program – Deliver a comprehensive education and career solution for military spouses pursuing training, jobs and sustainable careers by providing career services and connecting them to employers seeking employees with the 21 st century workforce skill sets possessed by military spouses. The challenge
4 4 Spouse Education and Career Opportunities Program – Access education and career resources
5 5 Spouse Education and Career Opportunities Program – Spouse Education and Career Opportunities programs comprehensive counseling service available to all eligible military spouses Career exploration and discovery interest, skill, aptitude assessments Education, training, licensing and credentialing requirements financial aid information and referral Career readiness interview skills, resumes, transportation, child care needs Career connections links to Military Spouse Employment Partnership partners, USAJOBS.gov, U.S. Department of Labor Military Spouse Career Center at Military OneSource https://www.militaryonesource.mil /https://www.militaryonesource.mil / and https://myseco.militaryonesource.milhttps://myseco.militaryonesource.mil Spouse Education and Career Opportunities program
Don’t Miss: Questionnaire To Figure Out Your Career
Spouse Education And Career Opportunities Program
The Spouse Education and Career Opportunities program, or SECO, from the Department of Defense, was created specifically for military spouses to connect you with tools, including education and training help, career counseling and exploration, and much more. Youll find practical tools to help you advance in your career no matter what stage youre in.
Am I Eligible For Seco Services
You may be eligible for these services if you meet one of these requirements.
One of these must be true:
- You are the spouse of an active-duty, National Guard, or Reserve service member in the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, or Air Force.
- You are the spouse of a service member who has been separated from active duty, National Guard, or Reserves for less than 180 days.
- You are the surviving spouse of a service member who died while on active duty.
Through the Department of Defenses Spouse Education Career Opportunities program, spouses can use government-sponsored career and education resources, take advantage of networking opportunities, and work with employment counselors. SECO also partners with the Military Spouse Employment Partnership and My Career Advancement Account scholarship program. These organizations and others offer assistance for spouses interested in the following:
- Connecting with employers committed to hiring military spouses
- Pursuing additional education and/or training
Read Also: How To Get Started In Human Resources Career
Federal Interagency Military Spouse Career Expo On October 12 2022
Workforce Services Information NoticeWSIN22-13
Issued: October 7, 2022
The USDA Employee Organization and Military Spouse Association will be hosting a virtual career fair for Military Spouses on Wednesday, October 12, 2022 from 10 am 4 pm ET . This event will provide military spouses with an insider guide on how to navigate jobs with federal agencies and give them keys they need for successful employment. This job expo event is open to spouses of active duty services members as well as spouses of National Guard members, Reservists and Veterans.
Register online through the Military Spouse Association Webinar Registration webpage.
Dod Spouse Education And Career Opportunities
The Department of Defense Spouse Education and Career Opportunities Program provides expert education and career guidance to military Spouses worldwide. SECO offers comprehensive information, tools and resources to support career exploration, education, training, licensing, employment readiness and career connections. The four main components of service delivery for the SECO program are: the MySECO website which provides a comprehensive set of virtual tools and resources to assist military Spouses in the pursuit of their educational and employment goals the Military OneSource SECO Career Center where certified career coaches provide comprehensive counseling services at no cost the My Career Advancement Account Scholarship, which is a workforce development initiative that provides up to $4,000 of tuition assistance for licensure and education to eligible military Spouses and the Military Spouse Employment Partnership , which is an employment and career partnership connecting military Spouses with more than 540 partners who have committed to recruit, hire, promote and retain military Spouses in portable careers. Online, in the community, or on the phone, SECO ensures military Spouses have all the opportunities and connections they need to find a career that fits their mobile military life.
Don’t Miss: Transition To Data Science Career